Borrow the Internet from Your Library
To further the Library’s mission to encourage lifelong learning, the Washington County Public Library is introducing a Mobile Hotspot lending program to make information – and more specifically the Internet – accessible to everyone. Using your library card, you can now check out a Jetpack mobile hotspot.
Jetpacks provide Internet access to smartphones, tablets, computers, and other wireless enabled devices through the Verizon cellular data network. Up to 10 devices can connect to the Jetpack at one time and there are no data plan fees or limits. Service is dependent on the availability of the Verizon network where the Jetpack is being used.
Guidelines for Borrowing
- You must be 18 years of age or older to check out a Jetpack.
- A valid Library Card in good standing, with a current address on file, must be presented at the time of checkout. Verification of address may be requested.
- You are limited to one Jetpack per household.
- You may not loan the Jetpack to another person outside your household.
- Jetpacks must be returned in person to the library branch from which it was picked up. A staff person will do a visual check to ensure that the device and accessories are returned in good condition.
- Do not put Jetpacks in the Library book drop – they could be damaged and you will be held responsible for replacement costs.
- Hotspots are not available at the Local History and Genealogy Archives.
- Jetpacks only work within Verizon’s coverage area. Verizon’s coverage map is available at https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator.
- Jetpacks may be checked out for ten (10) days.
- Jetpacks may not be renewed.
- Holds may be placed at the Service Desk of any Washington County Public Library location except the Local History and Genealogy Archives and the Lafayette Branch. (Jetpacks are only available on a first come, first served basis at the Lafayette Branch.) You may also place holds over the phone.
- You may only place a hold at the library branch from which you have a library card.
- You will receive notification when a Jetpack becomes available.
- You have seven (7) days to check out the Jetpack before your hold is cancelled.
- Overdue Jetpacks will be marked as lost after 30 days at which time you will be charged the full replacement cost of the device ($72.00) plus a $3.00 processing fee.
- Overdue Jetpacks will be deactivated within 24 hours.
- Patrons are responsible for costs associated with the loss or damage of the Jetpack, the USB cable, power adapter, and case.
- Jetpack - $35.00
- Case - $10.00
- Power Adapter - $22.00
- USB Cable - $5.00
- Keep the Jetpack in a temperature-controlled environment; do not leave it in a car.
- Do not expose the Jetpack to moisture or abrasives (i.e. sand).
- Do not drop the Jetpack.
- Only use the included USB cable and power adapter to charge the Jetpack.
- Do not disassemble or remove the battery from the Jetpack.
- Turn the Jetpack off when not in use.
- Keep the Jetpack, power adapter, and USB cable in the case when not in use. Be sure to turn off the Jetpack before putting it in the case.
- DO NOT expose the Jetpack to liquid or moisture.
- DO NOT expose the Jetpack to extreme temperatures, either hot or cold.
- DO NOT expose the Jetpack to lit candles, cigarettes, cigars, open flames, etc.
- DO NOT drop, throw, or try to bend the Jetpack. Rough treatment may damage the Jetpack.
- DO NOT attempt to disassemble the Jetpack.
- STOP using and turn off the Jetpack if it appears damaged, is too hot to touch, or has a “hot” smell.
- DO NOT operate the Verizon Jetpack in areas where blasting is in progress, where explosive atmospheres may be present, near medical equipment, near life support equipment, or any equipment which may be susceptible to any form of radio interference.
- DO NOT operate the Verizon Jetpack in any aircraft, whether the aircraft is on the ground or in flight.
- The driver or operator of any vehicle should not operate the Verizon Jetpack while in control of a vehicle. Doing so may detract from the driver’s control and operation of that vehicle.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the Jetpack, fire, electric shock, or injury.
If you have any questions about the operation of the Jetpack, call Library IT support at 740-373-1057 x224.